These are ten fascinating facts about India:
- With more than 1.3 billion citizens, India is the second most populous nation on earth.
- With over 1,000 films produced each year, Bollywood is the largest film industry in the world.
- Saffron, white, and green make up the three colours of the Indian flag, with a blue chakra (wheel) in the middle signifying the nation’s development and direction.
- More than 2,000 dialects are spoken in India, which has 22 official languages.
- India’s Agra is home to the Taj Mahal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Mughal emperor Shah Jahan erected it in honour of his cherished wife Mumtaz Mahal.
- The Lion Capitol of Ashoka, which was built by the Mauryan monarch Ashoka in the third century BCE, served as the inspiration for India’s national emblem.
- Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism are four of the major world faiths that originated in India.
- The Indian Railways is the world’s largest railway network, spanning over 68,000 kilometers and serving over 23 million passengers daily.
- India is one of the few countries in the world that has both lions and tigers in the wild.
- The game of chess was invented in India and was originally called chaturanga, meaning “four divisions” in Sanskrit.
Ultimately, India is an enthralling and complicated country with a rich history and culture, a diversified people, and major contributions to the world economy and society.